Saturday, March 14, 2015

I Went Walking in West Hartford

Will you walk with me?



A long time ago I made a set of animals for my flannel board to go with Sue William's lovely book:   

Years later at the suggestion of my friend/librarian/former blogger, Kari Ann St.Jean, I added black felt to the back of these laminated animals and now, they are better than new.  

I went walking, right here in West Hartford, and what did I see?


...I saw a cow following me. 

I went walking, right here in West Hartford, and what did I see? I saw a cat following me.

I went walking, right here in West Hartford, and what did I see?


a horse...a pig....a duck


and a dog following me


I love this set and it has served me well for more than 25 years.  It also inspired the Dinosaur bucket of I went walking - always a hit at the library.

But we didn't stop at Dinosaurs...we added a supply of bugs for our bucket.  Take a look! I went walking, outside and around the library, and what did I see...whoa!







And then we have the Zoo animals in the bucket - that gets really loud in the library!
I went to the zoo and what did I see?  


I also created an "I went swimming and what did I see?" set of animals for the bucket.  Perfect for summer story times.  You'll have to wait for that photo!  

Alas the snow is melting in Connecticut and taking a walk in the sunshine will soon be a reality.  We'll tell Sue Williams story on the flannel board in story time and the little ones will guess the animals, and make their sounds.  I'll ask if anyone ever saw a cow on their West Hartford street. Sometimes they say yes!  I love it.   Imagination, creativity, books and storytelling - they rock our world.  

Amen ~ Piper & Jane









3 comments:

  1. Jane, Love this post!! First of all I love the book choice and then I love the different riffs on the walk!! Especially the bugs!! Don't you just love to freshen up an old favorite and keep on using it with a new generation of kids that love it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed I do Kathryn! The depth of our old favorite books provides us with a sense of magic to share with the parents and the kids. It is something special!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. All comments await moderation before showing in the post.